Here's the answer............................................................. The video is giving us tips on the best way to take selfies.
How would you describe a selfie to someone who's never heard of it?
When did you last take a selfie?
When you see others taking them what do you think is the reason behind it?
How is it different taking pictures of other or of yourself?
You're about to read an article and learn about some research done to understand this current trend of people taking selfies.
Can you guess why we take them?
Read the article quickly.
Does the article sound interesting to you?
Why or why not?
Read the article again but much more carefully this time.
Here's a dictionary, in case you get completely stuck with some of the vocabulary.
This time answer the comprehension question below.
1. How does the writer describe 'the selfie'?
2. What question did James Kilner from University College London ask?
3. Why do we need to look at other people's faces?
4. According to the text, what are we good at and what aren't we good at?
5. What does paragraph four teach us?
6. What does the fifth paragraph say?
7. Which representations of us are we most likely to select?
8. So according to the text, why do we take selfies?
Check your answers here:
1. How does the writer describe 'the selfie'? The writer describes it as 'the greatest photographic trend of our time.'
2. What question did James Kilner from University College London ask? He asked why people are so interesting in taking photos of themselves and how looking at pictures of ourselves differs from looking at pictures of others.
3. Why do we need to look at other people's faces? We need to observe others' expressions for successful social situations.
4. According to the text, what are we good at and what aren't we good at? We're good at understanding interpreting meaning in other people but not good at understanding our own due to a lack of experience.
5. What does paragraph four teach us? Paragraph four tells us that we experience our own facial expressions through the movement our faces. Therefore, we are unable to replicate expressions simply from looking at a photo of ourselves without seeing our reflection.
6. What does the fifth paragraph say? The fifth paragraph says there is a large difference between what we think we look like and what we actually look like. Given a number of images of ourselves, of which some have been altered, we are often bad at selecting the original picture.
7. Which representations of us are we most likely to select? We are most likely to select an image which is younger and more attractive.
8. So according to the text, why do we take selfies? We take selfies in order to produce an image which comes closer to our perception of ourselves.
For writing practice find another interesting and current trend to discuss.
Think carefully about the topic and write a five paragraph essay.
Open the link above and record yourself reading your story. Send a link to firstname.lastname@example.org