A) Do you play Candy Crush Saga?
Why do you play it or why don't you?
If you play it, how often do you play it each day?
Do your friends play it?
Do you think mobile apps are addictive (you can't stop playing them)?
Which do you think were the most popular apps in 2013?
Which apps do you use on your mobile and why?
B) Answer these questions first to help you understand the text later.
1. What's an app.?
2. What's revenue and earning?
3. What's a launch?
4. What does current mean?
5. What's an addict?
6. What does addictive mean?
7. What's to avoid something?
8. What does the phrase fallen prey to something mean?
9. What does the phrase a slippery slope mean?
10. What's an expert?
11. What 's a niche product?
12. What's to acquire?
13.What's ripe for distribution mean?
14. What does come up with something mean?
Here are the answers.
1. What's an app.? An app. is an application. You can download apps onto your mobile. Apps. can be games or other programs.
2. What's revenue and earning? Revenue is used to talk about money a company makes, earning is similar but you can also use it to talk about the money you make from your job.
3. What's a launch? A launch is when a new product is introduced to the public by a company.
4. What does current mean? Current means now. We often use current with these words: current situation/current trend and current affairs (not the word now)
5. What's an addict? An addict is a person who must have something regularly like cigarettes or who cannot stop doing something, like checking their Facebook.
6. What does addictive? If something is addictive then it's difficult to stop doing or using this thing. Cigarettes are addictive and so are computer games.
7. What's to avoid something? It means when you don't do something. People avoid things they don't like or if they don't avoid them a problem could happen.
8. What does the phrase fallen prey to something mean? It means something has taken control of you but you didn't want it to happen.
9. What does the phrase a slippery slope mean? We use this phrase to talk about things that can happen and we can't stop them happening. It means if we do it a little, slowly we'll do it more and more. For example, when you eat a sweet. You eat more and more and then you realise you've eaten all of them!
10. What's an expert? It's someone who knows a lot about something.
11. What 's a niche product? It means very special and maybe only popular or useful for a small group of people or only use. For example, the Ford KA is for a niche market. It's only useful for people who live in a busy city.
12. What's to acquire? It's formal and means to get or buy. For example, Microsoft acquired six companies in 1987.
13.What's ripe for distribution mean? It means the product is ready to be sold.
14. What does come up with something mean? It means think of. We say it when our idea is new.
C) Now read the text about Candy Crush Saga and answer these questions. Write your answers.
a) What was special about Candy Crush Saga last year?
b) Where did people download Candy Crush Saga from in 2013?
c) When was the app. launched?
d) How many times a day does Deborah Alverez play the game?
e) Does her friend Katie play it?
f) How does Katie avoid playing it?
g) Another popular download was Snapchat, what kind of app. is that?
h) What did Facebook want to do with Snapchat?
i) What did Simon Kalaf say in the article?
Check your answers here.
a) What was special about Candy Crush Saga last year? It was the most downloaded app. of 2013.
b) Where did people download Candy Crush Saga from in 2013? People downloaded it From Apple's App. Store and Google's Play Store.
c) When was the app launched? It was launched in 2013.
d) How many times a day does Deborah Alverez play the game? She says she plays it at least ten times a day.
e) Does her friend Katie play it? No, she doesn't play it.
f) How does Katie avoid playing it? She blocks the app.
g) Another popular download was Snapchat, what kind of app is that? It's a photo and video sharing app.
h) What did Facebook want to do with Snapchat? Facebook wanted to buy Snapchat last year.
i) What did Simon Kalaf say in the article? He said mobile apps. could be more popular and more profitable than television in 2014.