B. You're about to read an article from channelnewsasia.com about the Taiwanese authorities taking large amounts of dolphin meat from a factory.
Which of these words do you expect to see in the text?
b. a haul
c. to seize
e. a fine
f. a desert
If you don't know the words, check them in the dictionary here.
words used............................................................................a,b,c,e,g were all used.
C. Read the text again and answer the questions below.
Write you answers in full sentences to practice your writing skills.
1. How much dolphin meat was confiscated?
2. Where did the authorities find the meat?
3. How did the authorities know it was dolphin meat?
4. How many animals were killed to make the meat?
5. What might happen to the factory owner who bought the dolphin meat?
6. Where were the dolphins caught?
7. Do coastal people from Taiwan eat dolphin meat?
8. Why can't people catch dolphins or any other protected animals in Taiwan?
Check your answer here.
1. How much dolphin meat was confiscated? 7.65 tonnes of dolphin meat were confiscated.
2. Where did the authorities find the meat? They found the meat while searching a frozen food factory in Kaoshiung.
3. How did the authorities know it was dolphin meat? They had the meat tested.
4. How many animals were killed to make the meat? Approximately 150 dolphins were killed.
5. What might happen to the factory owner who bought the dolphin meat? He might have to go to prison for five years and pay a fine of $50,000.
6. Where were the dolphins caught? It is not known where they were caught.
7. Do coastal people from Taiwan eat dolphin? Yes, they eat them because they believe they are good for health.
8. Why can't people catch dolphins or any other protected animals in Taiwan? Dolphins cannot be caught in Taiwan because it's been illegal since 1989. Protected animals cannot be bought for any use.
D. Now that you've read and understand the text about dolphins think about an environmental subject you're interested in and write about it.
Maybe there's a topic which was recently reported in the news or maybe it's something you've been interested in for along time.
Plan your composition carefully before you begin to write it.