So hopefully you know that Greg Martin, who recently died, was a videogame cover artist in the '80s and '90s.
C. Now look at the questions below. Can you remember any of the answers?
Read the text again to help you answer them correctly.
1. Why has the article been written?
2. Why might people not recognize his name?
3. Which was the most famous character that he designed and which video console could you play it on?
4. Other than the Sega Mega Drive in which consoles' games did his pictures feature?
5. Did Martin only work on video games?
6. What does the writer mean by the 'golden era' of console gaming?
7. How did the writer learn about the death of the artist?
8. What did Bronty write?
Check your answers:
1. Why has the article been written? The article has been written because Greg Martin was an artist who designed the covers to famous and popular games and has recently died.
2. Why might people not recognize his name? People may not recognize his name because his artwork was more famous than his name.
3. Which was the most famous character that he designed and which video console could you play it on? His most famous character was the Sonic The Hedgehog and it was on the Sega Mega Drive console.
4. Other than the Sega Mega Drive on which console's games did his pictures feature? They also featured on the Game Boy and Super Nintendo.
5. Did Martin only work on video games? No, he also worked on cartoons for Hanna Barbera.
6. What does the writer mean by the 'golden era' of console gaming? The writer is telling us that the '80s and '90s were when console gaming was most popular.
7. How did the writer learn about the death of the artist? The artist's death was announced by one of Martin's close friends, who works for Nintendo Age.
8. What did Bronty write? Bronty wrote an emotional statement about his friend Greg Martin.
D. Think about something from your childhood that you used to play.
Maybe it was a computer game, a board game or a game you played outside.
Do you know its history?
Who invented it?
How do you play it?
How do you win?
Why did you enjoy playing it?
Is it popular with children now?
If you want to, use the composition guidelines below to help you write.
Add lots of your own sentences to make it an interesting text.
I want to tell you about a game I played in my childhood called ______.
It was invented by...
You play it by (v-ing) running/jumping etc
The winner(s) is the person who...
I really enjoyed playing this game because...
It is (not) popular today probably because...